Monday, June 30, 2008

No Rushdie. Some Fact Checker Really Screwed Up On This One.

Here was the publicity blurb, as written in CityPaper:

Salman Rushdie discusses and signs copies of The Enchantress of Florence. Politics and Prose, 5015 Connecticut Avenue NW. Mon., 6/30, at 7 p.m. Free.

As you can see, that's why I thought it was free and I could go.

Luckily (or unluckily) I decided to confirm this morning on the Politics and Prose website. Just in case, you know, the newspaper was wrong.

It was more than wrong. It was wrong in every possible aspect.

From the official site:

Monday, June 30, 7 p.m.

SALMAN RUSHDIE

SOLD OUT

IN THE COMMUNITY
@ SIXTH AND I HISTORIC SYNAGOGUE
600 I Street NW, Washington, DC 20001


THE ENCHANTRESS OF FLORENCE
(Random House, $26)
The Guardian calls Rushdie’s new novel “a wonderful tale, full of follies and enchantments.” The master of magic realism weaves the sensibilities of East and West, of history and fable, in a story that combines the realm of Mughal Emperor Akbar the Great with the Florence of the Medicis and Machiavelli. This is a ticketed event. Two tickets are free with book purchase at P&P, or cost $6 each. Contact P&P at 202-364-1919 or www.politics-prose.com


I feel like I should be playing "Spot Six Differences!"

So, since the lecture was neither at the place it was advertised to be, nor was it free. I... um... didn't go. I actually started out in the direction of the event with the idea that I would sneak in, or take the place of a no-show, but a thunderstorm stopped me in my tracks and left me huddling underneath a bus awning for about an hour.

Ironically, there were probably a handful of no-shows due to weather, so if I had only been able to make it...

But a person like Sir Salman probably wears better in fantasy than in reality, so we'll say it's for the best that I didn't get to meet him. ^__^

No comments: