Sunday, June 15, 2008

Finally Neha's Meme!

I think I've done this meme before, too... but now that I finally have a book close by again (all my books are -- or were -- boxed away for the time being), I can totally rock this.

Tag came from Neha at Within/Without.

Rules?

Pick up the nearest book.
Open to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.
Tag five people, and acknowledge the person who tagged you.

The book?

Powerful Proofreading Skills: Tips, Techniques, and Tactics. I picked it up today to re-teach myself all those proofreaders' marks I learned in high school. (The slash-loop thing means delete, the triple line is capitalize, two vertical lines plus a P means indent, um...) It's totes full of quizzes an' tests an' stuff.

Since the book is only 94 pages long, I'll pick the text on page 23 (reproduced in its entirety):

Giving Feedback to Your Boss

And what if it's your boss to whom you need to give feedback about errors? Keep these suggestions in mind.

* Clarify your authority. Are you to edit or proofread the copy?
* Keep a style sheet on each person who gives you correspondence to review. Write down each person's preferences.
* Avoid trapping or embarrassing the person.

Embarrassing I understand, but trapping? Like, in a corner?

Anyway, am not going to pass this meme along (sorry, team), but anyone who wants to pick it up is more than welcome!

No comments: