Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Facebook 25 (Yes, I finally wrote one.)

1. I love living in DC, more than any other place I've lived so far. Every morning I walk to work and look at the architecture and the sky and think about how lucky I am to be living here.

2. Yes, I walk to work every morning. 1.7 miles. 3900 steps. Rain or shine.

3. And back again, too.

4. I'm also that annoying person who packs her lunch every day.

5. I'm very happy being a vegetarian but I don't believe that my choice is any more "moral" than being a non-vegetarian. There are too many factors involved and there are as many abused, suffering migrant workers as there are factory farm animals.

6. The Sunday farmers' market is my church. The first time I went there, I was overwhelmed with the sense of being in a holy place. I know that sounds ridiculous, but there's something very awesome (in the original sense of the word) by being surrounded by locally-grown vegetables.

7. The last time I was at the farmers' market I was looking at a basket of parsnips and I had the sudden thought that life was too short for me to learn to cook every single vegetable in the world. That was sad.

8. New topic: I have a secret crush on Ira Glass. I listen to an episode of This American Life nearly every day. I was devastated when I found out he was married.

9. I just don't think the British version of The Office is funny. I've tried to watch it several times.

10. I still play Super Famicom games.

11. I really like comics, probably more than I should. At one time I was part of a For Better Or For Worse online forum. We spent most of our time talking about how awful Anthony was. Right now the two comic strips I follow most closely are Questionable Content and 9 Chickweed Lane.

13. I want to eat at The Grill from Ipanema mostly because it has great lighting.

14. Celebrities who have recently appeared in my dreams: Salman Rushdie, Hugh Laurie, Amitabh Bachchan, Steve Lawrence. (Unfortunately NOT Ira Glass.)

15. The two most important things in my life are my job and my Ashtanga practice.

16. The above is probably the most honest statement on this list. I mean, everything on the list is true, but... 15's the bare-naked one.

17. Sometimes I worry with Ashtanga that my diligence outweighs my natural ability. Then I consider that nobody got anywhere without practicing.

18. I am SO GRATEFUL that my parents taught me how to practice. It is a skill that has paid off a billion-fold.

19. I'm so jealous that there was no YouTube around when I was a kid, because I taught myself how to play all kinds of video game theme music on the piano. At one point I could play the entire 15-minute "Final Fantasy VI End Sequence."

20. I carry a copy of The English Patient around with me when I travel. I've read and reread that book nearly 20 times and I always find something new in it.

21. In fact, I have a good copy, which I keep at home, and a travel copy, which travels.

22. I make to-do lists for everything. I have a to-do list for today. This is on the list.

23. When I was a starving graduate student, a few people gave me unexpected gifts which really helped me out. I sent thanks at the time, but now want to repay them and don't know how to do it without seeming tit-for-tat. Probably that means I need to pay it forward.

24. I spent way too much time writing this list. It actually went through three separate drafts. And, as a result, I'm late to the game. Meh.

25. I've really loved reading everything everyone else has written, and actually have been going on to Facebook in the hopes of reading more of these. (This from a person who, otherwise, barely looks at Facebook anymore.) So if you haven't done one, SUFFER THROUGH IT!

No comments: