Monday, February 16, 2009

Here Comes Dinner!


I have a cold. To help ease the congestion, I "invented" a soup which contains:

Farmers' market cabbage (1/4 head)
Farmers' market beets (1, larger than my fist)
Farmers' market carrots (4)
Supermarket potatoes (3, russet)
Mung dal (about 1/2 cup)

Started out by making a stock (of sorts) using 2 tablespoons chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon garlic paste, and generous pinches of ginger, asafoedita, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne, stirred into about 1 1/2 cups of water.

Tempered cumin and mustardseed in the soup pot, added the stock, added more water, added veg and dal. Cooked for an hour, which was probably too long, but I wanted it to come out at the same time as the bread.

I know the soup turned out all one color (that'd be the beets), but it tasted really good and cleared my congestion for about 20 minutes which is about all that can be expected. ^__^

No comments: