Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sita Sings Some Awesome Blues

I screened Nina Paley's Sita Sings The Blues last week on a borrowed projector to a group of friends.

The movie is, essentially, awesome; lovely animation, clever storytelling, vivid imagery. I have to admit, though, that part of it made me a bit jealous; Paley was selling an idea that I had tried for years to sell to various theatre faculty: the idea of telling a story "traditionally," then stopping and re-telling the major emotional moment of the story through music/movement.

"No," they said, "it's too intellectual."

I should have taken up animation.



Dear Nina Paley, you share my artistic sensibilities. I shopped this idea for years, storyboarded it, but could never get anyone to believe that someone would want to watch a few minutes of story (what happened "in real life") spliced with a few minutes of music (what happened "emotionally"). I staged a performance and was told, a week before it opened, to take all of the music parts out.

I'm so glad you made this film.

Oh, and I'm even more glad that you drew this particular cartoon:




That's part of the reason why I changed career paths--everyone told me I was thinking too much. I like being somewhere, now, where I can think as much as I want!

(Yes, as promised, I did send Sita a donation.)

No comments: