Wednesday, March 18, 2009

If It Exists, I Will Make A Samosa Of It


Pictured above is a combination of Jerusalem artichokes and peas, eaten with the softest, sweetest loaf of oatmeal bread I've yet made.

But that's not what I want to write about tonight.

Tonight, I want to write about samosas.

When I was in grad school, I used to eat frozen burritos all the time. I used to make this thing I called a "burrito bowl of death" where I would fill this giant pink bowl with a frozen burrito (or two), salsa, and shredded "Mexican" cheese; then I would microwave it until it bubbled and crush corn chips over the entire thing.

The thing about the frozen burrito was that it was a handheld, instant meal; it lived in the freezer until I needed it, and then I popped it out and was eating protein and carbs in 60 seconds. This is something I don't get to do anymore; although my artichoke meal was simple enough I still had to wash and slice and peel and grate the ginger and let the whole thing steam for 15 minutes. (And, truth be told, it should have steamed longer.)

But two days ago I learned how to cook samosas. I also learned how to freeze and reheat samosas. And I rediscovered the simple pleasure of microwaving my own little handheld meal.

Now I want to samosa everything. I have a batch of samosa dough proofing in my refrigerator at this moment. I want to samosa my saag paneer recipe and my aloo gobi recipe, and then I want to samosa some black beans and cheddar to see what happens, and then I want to go to the farmers' market and buy blackberry jam and samosa that, Hamentaschen-style.

I could even get graham flour and chocolate and marshmallow and samosa up some s'mores.

Sam...ores.

I am so excited at my first venture into pastrying. ^__^ It's also comforting, in a way, to know that I can spend a few hours on Saturday or Sunday cooking these things up and then lining them in foil rows in my freezer, to be microwaved later. It's like I'm my own little Sysco, only without the HFCS.

w00t samosas!

No comments: