Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cabbage and Potate

So I found out today that Julia Child lived in Georgetown before she moved to Paris and started that whole "mastering the art of French cooking" thing. There is hope. ^__^


The top one, btw, is a sweet potato with toast and an Asian pear (Monday's dinner). Tonight I had my favorite cabbage recipe with more toast (with honey!) and a Fiji apple. I had run out of olive oil so I cooked the cabbage in a yogurt-besan sauce. I don't know which version I like best.

This cabbage recipe is one of my favorite things to make, and it goes something like this:

Temper appropriate amounts of coriander, turmeric, black pepper, salt, mustardseed, and cayenne pepper in a bit of oil. Add cabbage and whole urad dal. Cover and steam for about fifteen minutes. Jaffrey adds onions too but I've never liked onions and so I leave them out and add asefoetida instead.

When cooked, it can be eaten equally well with coconut chutney, yogurt, rice, or--my favorite--wrapped in a chickpea-flour pancake. It's what I plan to do tomorrow with the leftovers. ^__^

No comments: