Friday, July 18, 2008

The "Beyond" Was Disgusting. So Was The "Naan."

In the spirit of culinary adventure -- and a longish, untold story as to why I didn't have a lunch packed with me -- I wandered out of the office this afternoon to a little place called Naan and Beyond.

I was very interested to learn what said "beyond" might be; but I think I've decided that from now on I'm not going to trust any place that advertises using that particular word. (Sorry, Bed and Bath.)

In other words: worst food I've had in a long, long time.

To understand why, you have to realize what this cafe serves. It's theoretically a fusion place, if one considers adding coleslaw to be fusion. Naan and Beyond specializes in "sandwiches" made of meat (or paneer, if you're veg), grilled peppers, coleslaw, mayonnaise, mint chutney, mango chutney, and of course the titular naan.

Coleslaw, mayonnaise, and two kinds of chutney.

So now we get to talk about what happens when you eat it. I ordered mine without mayonnaise, considering (and rightly so) that the two chutneys and the oil in the coleslaw would be lubrication enough; since the whole mess is wrapped, tube-style, in naan, taking any kind of a bite results in giant blumps of drippy chutney goo falling out of the other end.

Not to mention that the naan itself was incredibly tough and had to be gnawed at and ripped apart. There is no grace involved in eating the Paneer Tikka Masala Coleslaw Mango Mint Chutney sandwich. Thank goodness no one in the office saw me eating it, because I'm pretty sure I looked feral.

The internet says it's a great place to eat, and the lines usually stretch down the block "even on cold days." This I find (wait for it...) hard to swallow.

No comments: