Saturday, November 15, 2008

Yogurt!

So if I were to be a "proper" cooking blog, I would have a step-by-step recount of everything involved in a particular recipe along with pictures at each stage.

I'm going to cut to the chase.

It's extremely gratifying to eat, in the morning, a warm-sweet cup of your very own homemade yogurt.

For some reason I thought that yogurt was going to be difficult to make and would involve, at least, a blender. But Madhur Jaffrey's instructions were simple: heat milk until it rises, simmer for one minute. Pour, little by little, into a (non-metallic) bowl in which you have already placed two tablespoons of yogurt. Stir the yogurt-milk mixture, cover it, and put it into a warm place, preferably a gas oven with the pilot light on. Wait about 8 hours.

In the morning I had yogurt!

It's a lot thinner than the yogurt I'm used to, but it tastes much better.

And, for a person who eats two pounds of yogurt/week (I buy a new 2 lb tub every weekend, and wash out the old tubs and use them to store flour and dal), it's a great way to save cash and cut out just a little bit more of those preservatives and additives that show up in things.

I love yogurt. ^__^

2 comments:

The Director said...

So wait.. you have to have yogurt.. to make yogurt?

Blue said...

That's what my sister said too.

Yes. You have to have yogurt to make yogurt.

(So how was the first yogurt made????)